Adapted from Tell Me More In a Jar®: SEL Conversation Starters
Small talk with anyone can be uncomfortable and awkward, am I right? But starting conversations with kids . . . that’s in a class of its own. Try the questions and prompts below to jump-start a more compelling and meaningful conversation anywhere you are.
- What are you happiest doing?
- Tell me about a time you felt empowered.
- If your day (week/year) were a book, what would the title be? What would the cover look like?
- Share about something that made you laugh.
- Check in with your feelings. What emotion do you feel right now?
- How do you like to relax?
- Tell me about something cool you learned.
- What, if anything, were you nervous about recently? How did it turn out?
- How are you creative?
- Tell me about a time you were brave.
- How do you think other people see you? Are there ways you wish you were seen?
- Think about a time you forgave someone. What was your first step in forgiving this person?
- Share about a time you changed your mind.
Please leave a comment below with your favorite question to encourage conversation.
For more questions and prompts to kick-start meaningful conversations, check out Tell Me More In a Jar®.
We welcome your comments and suggestions. Share your comments, stories, and ideas below, or contact us. All comments will be approved before posting, and are subject to our comment and privacy policies.
© 2020 by Free Spirit Publishing. All rights reserved. The view expressed in this post represent the opinion of the author and not necessarily Free Spirit Publishing.