On Monday, June 18, ProPublica released a heartbreaking audio recording allegedly captured inside a US Customs and Border Protection facility. The desperate cries of children separated from their parents have haunted and enraged millions of Americans and have left us wondering, what can I do? For those feeling helpless and compelled to take action, here are some ways to help:
- Visit Families Belong Together to find a protest near you.
- Call your representatives. If you don’t know the phone number, a simple form on the ACLU’s website can connect you to the appropriate representative.
- Educate yourself about immigrant detention.
- Donate to the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES).
- View a webinar hosted by RAICES on Thursday, June 21, at 2 p.m. CT to learn meaningful ways you can support immigrants in your community.
- Donate to the American Civil Liberties Union.
- Search government contracts and put pressure on local businesses working with ICE and CBP.
- Teach and model empathy.
- Donate to the Asylum Seeker Advocacy Project.
- Donate essentials like diapers and soap directly to immigrant children through Baby2Baby’s Target gift registry.
We welcome your comments and suggestions. Share your comments, stories, and ideas below, or contact us. All comments will be approved before posting, and are subject to our comment and privacy policies.